Jump to navigation
Power Reading, Comprehension & Memory Techniques
By the end of the workshop attendees will:
- Be much more effective in the use of your time, through processing and understanding written information faster. (The average person reads at some 150-250 words per minute, and after the program their speed typically doubles and comprehension increases. However, improvements of over 1000 wpm with high comprehension are achieved by a high proportion of attendees.)
- Better understand and analyse written material;
- Discriminate between important and less important material, and learn how to plan your reading;
- Concentrate more effectively;
- Improve comprehension and learn techniques to improve memory;
- Improve confidence to read faster and comprehend more.
Relevance to the development of public sector employees’ skills
Power Reading = Speed Reading + Higher Comprehension + Greater Recall
Public sector executives, managers, supervisors and staff, who have difficulty coping with reading workloads, will be able to process that information much more efficiently. You will learn to read 2, 3 or even 4 times faster than they normally read, and will have the potential to comprehend more with greater recall, depending on your aim. To read more efficiently and effectively becomes a natural skill with ongoing practice.
As well as Australia, where this program was originally developed over 30 years ago, it is now being run in nine countries around the world. For those thinking of a one day program, we have found that the results mentioned above are not achieved in one-day, as most people reach their Peak Performance on the second day. This is partly due to the subconscious brain working on the lessons learnt whilst asleep.
A senior executive from an oil company calculated that this workshop saved him 8 hours a week! How would you like to save at least 3/4 hours a week on an ongoing basis?
To achieve the results mentioned above we run a carefully designed program which uses many different tools to break down the bad habits of a lifetime! These include eye exercises, at least eleven comprehension exercises for you to monitor your progress, as well as extensive use of a Reading Rate Accelerator.
To Paul Chatfeild-Clarke
Thanks for providing this highly valuable course! I learnt lots of practical and effective techniques to help me improve my reading speed (I went from 300 words per minute to 1000) with high comprehension. I have lots of professional reading to do and your course is helping to reduce the time that this would normally take.
The 2 day program is definitely an investment for the time-challenged! It would be difficult to gain the same benefits from a one day versus two day workshop given the range of “building blocks” that you cover, plus assessments and practice.
I would highly recommend this program – I only wish that I had done it years ago!
Paul Chatfeild-Clarke lives in Perth WA and has been a training and development consultant for 21 years, prior to that he held several managerial positions. He was a local director of an international training organisation for 10 years, and set up his own consultancy in 1995. He has Certifcate IV in Assessment & Workplace Training.
Paul has over 20 years experience designing and running skills based training programs for State and Federal Governments and the Corporate Sector, in the areas of Public Speaking & Business Presentation Skills, Report & Business Writing for Government, Power Reading, as well as Leadership and Teambuilding. The workshops are competency based, interactive, experiential, highly practical, personalised, fun and the skills learnt are immediately transferable into the workplace.
Dates & registration
There are no dates listed for this event.
Speed Reading training
CONTACT US for details
Master information overload by reading faster without loss of comprehension, and slice through your reading pile
How many of your people are under pressure to get through mountains of reading that just keeps pouring in? Double your reading speed, guaranteed.
Speed Reading training is a proven tactic for mastering information overload and can be learned in one day. In our one-day Speed Reading workshop we guarantee we’ll double everyone’s reading rate. Many people increase 3 times or more without loss of comprehension, (measured).
For a custom quote contact us here.
The Brainpower one-day Speed Reading course is an award-winning program for individuals and teams who want to capture information faster and easier.
You’ll learn practical strategies you can use immediately to slice through your reading pile.
Maximise your productivity, master information overload and boost your knowledge
If you want to get up to speed… this is what you’ll learn in the Brainpower one-day speed reading course:
- How to measure your current reading rate and comprehension
- Simple techniques to instantly double your reading rate without loss of comprehension and accuracy
- Four poor reading habits that hold back your reading rate and how to overcome them
- Fast input eye-brain exercises that boost your reading speed on the spot
- E-reading, or how to adapt your new-found skills to reading on computer
- Macroreading ® technique to filter out the non-essential and zoom in on the essential
- 6 ways to read vertically (for newspapers, magazines)
- How to model the sightlines and eye paths of natural speed readers
- How to remain a faster reader for life
- How to read more in the next 90 days than in the last 9 years!
By understanding and mastering these skills, you can easily double, or better, your reading rate.
For more information contact us here.
Does the training include any additional materials?
Yes. All workshop participants receive a reader-friendly, illustrated, colour-printed Workbook to refer to during and after the course.
How does speed reading help?
- Anyone with tons of reading to get through – managers, executives, students, etc.
- Anyone studying
- Anyone pressured to keep up with the rate of change in their industry
Does speed reading really work?
The average person reads between 200 – 300 words per minute. After attending our workshop, everyone at least doubles their reading rate without loss of comprehension or accuracy.
Many people increase by 300 to 400 percent with the same, and often better, understanding and memory. Around 9% of participants increase by 6 to 10 times.
Refer to the table and corresponding pie chart below for improvement statistics of 1,320 participants (100% of all results) attending Brainpower Training speed reading workshops during the period: 2006-2014 (July).
|2 times increase||37%|
|3 times increase||33%|
|4-5 times increase||22%|
|6-10 times increase||8%|
with same or improved comprehension and memory, as measured.
These results may seem amazing (and they are) but using the techniques covered in the course you’ll be surprised how easy it is to become a ‘speed reader’ yourself.
But how is it possible to read so much faster and still understand what I’m reading?
Most readers are handicapped by poor reading habits that force them to read at ‘speaking speed’ rather than ‘thinking speed’. These poor habits include:
- Sub-vocalisation’ – the habit of ‘speaking’ words in your mind as you read
- ‘Fixation’ – reading just one word at a time with a narrow focus
- ‘Regression’ – when your eye unconsciously flits back to reread part of a word. Eye movement research reveals the average person regresses as many as 50 – 60 times per page.
The combined effect of these habits compels you to read so slowly that your mind wanders and loses concentration.
Brainpower training teaches you techniques to overcome these poor reading habits. This allows your reading rate to automatically increase by 3 or 4 times with better comprehension, concentration and memory.
Speed Reading training outcomes
On completion of the program participants will know how to:
- Read 2-10 times faster than beginning speed with improved comprehension and memory
- Calculate reading rate in any book and self-test comprehension and memory
- Use strategies to overcome poor reading habits
- Apply the visual pacer technique to eliminate regression and boost reading rate
- Expand focus to eliminate fixating on one word at a time
- Use a range of sightlines – horizontal, diagonal and vertical – similar to those used by natural speed readers
- Feel comfortable varying reading rates depending on purpose and degree of difficulty of reading material
- Use Macroreading® to read for overview to gain working knowledge of a document or to search read for target information
- Swiftly read material formatted into columns – newspapers, magazines – using a vertical sightline
- Apply rapid reading strategies to onscreen computer reading
- Improve readability of documents by using best fonts for faster onscreen reading
- Become familiar with occupational health and safety issues around preserving good vision and preventing eye-strain when computer reading
- Create the best Control Panel setup for vision preservation
- Perform fast input eye exercises any time they want to boost reading rate yet again
- Apply the 80/20 rule or Pareto Principle to reading and time management
- Perform a Comparison Read to compare their original rate of reading with their new reading rate, for an ‘Ah-ha!’ experience
You should contact us for your custom quote here.
Hear what participants are saying:
‘The Speed Reading workshop was nothing short of phenomenal and has radically changed the way I will approach my law degree.’
‘Superb! Brilliant to know a course such as this exists – quick wins.’
‘This is the best course I have ever attended. I will recommend it to staff and students.’
But is it really worth it? Does speed reading really help?
Using the techniques you learn in the Brainpower course, everyone at least doubles their reading rate easily and immediately. Guaranteed.
If a manager earning $80,000 per annum, spending 12% of their time on-the-job reading (about an hour a day), doubles their reading rate without loss of comprehension, they improve their overall efficiency by 6%. That’s a potential saving of $4,800 per annum. Train 20 employees, it’s $96,000 saved in time efficiency.
Would you agree this is a good ROI (return on investment)?
Compare how long it takes to read a 6,000 word report
|Reader||Words per minute||Minutes|
Think of all the time you and your team will save once you complete this course!
What do people say about our Speed Reading workshop?
‘Comprehension and speed dramatically improved. Would never have believed it.’
‘Very helpful. I was most surprised at the outcomes. Can read a great deal faster. Now have ability to read technical papers quickly without losing concentration.’
- Onsite Training
- Streamed Video Training
- Conference Speaking
- About Us